This section is aimed at those with specific legal questions, and covers the various penalties and regulations that might come up in relation to displaying controversial material online. From a free-speech perspective, current risks are not too worrisome, but there are several areas of potential concern.
- Civil Penalties Copyright holders and private individuals can sue for civil penalties in infringement and defamation actions.
- Criminal Penalties U.S. law includes criminal penalties for obscenity, defamation, and copyright infringement.
- Government Regulation Content- and viewpoint-neutral regulations of speech may be permissible in certain contexts.
- International Issues Posting art online makes it available to audiences in other countries and other legal systems.
- Terms of Service Violations Artists are more likely to run into restrictions on their speech due to websites' terms of service, rather than government regulations.